Develop a preventive maintenance program.
• Ensure that equipment (ice machines, HVAC, emergency lighting, hot water heaters) is operating efficiently
Install reusable furnace and air conditioner filters.
• Reusable filters have removable material that can be washed and returned to the frame for further use.
Install efficient-flow showerheads, low-flush toilets, and faucet aerators.
• Reduce volume of water used and purchase costs
• Avoid wastewater treatment costs and energy for heating water
• Water-efficient fixtures can save 20 - 30 percent on water and sewer bills with no loss to guests.
To learn more about reducing water use, check out EPA's Water Sense for information on water-efficient products and services.
Limit water waste.
• Keep water in swimming pools year round.
• Sweep down driveways instead of hosing them.
Use Xeriscape landscaping.
Xeriscape landscaping is based on planning and design, soil analysis, appropriate plant selection, practical turf areas, efficient irrigation, use of mulches, and appropriate maintenance.
• Conserves water and decreases energy use because less pumping and treatment of water is required
• Reduces building heating and cooling costs because of placement of trees and plants
• Minimizes storm water and irrigation runoff
To learn more, download this free software, Water Efficient Landscape Planner or contact county extension service or local garden/nursery centers.
continue to Hospitality Purchase & Inventory